This gluten free white bean and eggplant dip makes me think of what would result if hummus and baba ganoush got together and had a baby. Serve it with gluten free tortilla chips or chopped fresh vegetables.
- 1 eggplant (about 1 lb.), trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus enough to coat the eggplant
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat the broiler with an oven rack 4 inches from the broiler element.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray–or otherwise coat–the foil and all of the eggplant with oil.
- Sprinkle the flesh side of the eggplant with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggplant flesh side down on the baking sheet and broil 20 to 30 minutes, until the skin is charred and the flesh is tender.
- In a food processor, combine beans, 1 tablespoon oil, and garlic, and process until smooth.
- After the eggplant is done and cool enough to handle, scrape the flesh from the skin and add to the food processor along with the lemon juice, mint, and oregano.
- Process until mixed, adding salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.