This gluten free summer squash soup is a great option for all those extra zucchini that your neighbors are giving you. I use one zucchini and one yellow squash, and I serve it with a salad.
- 8 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus a little for cooking tofu
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium summer squash (yellow squash or zucchini, about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large potato (about 3/4 pound), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can low-fat coconut milk
- Season the tofu with a pinch of salt, toss with a little olive oil, and cook in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Toss gently for another 5 minutes, until browned. Set aside.
- Mash curry paste with olive oil. Heat in a large soup pot over medium heat about 1 minute.
- Stir in onion and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in squash and potatoes and cook until the squash is tender.
- Stir in garlic, water, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup in bowls topped with the tofu cubes.