My mom makes this Lebanese yogurt soup once a year when the whole family is together. She makes it with meat-filled dumplings, though, which I can’t eat. So I made up some gluten free shish barak using baked meatballs in place of the dumplings.
- 1 lb. ground lamb or ground beef
- 1/4 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 1 large container plain yogurt
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked white long grain rice
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- dried mint
- For meatballs: Heat oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together all meatball ingredients.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- For the broth: Place the yogurt in a saucepan. Beat with a fork until smooth.
- Add water and stir. Set aside.
- Mix rice and egg. Add to yogurt, along with salt and mint, to taste.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly in one direction only with wooden spoon, being careful not to let it scorch. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.