Is chocolate gluten free?
Pure chocolate, which is made from fermented cacao beans, is gluten free. Cocoa solids (or cocoa powder) and cocoa butter (or theobroma oil) are both gluten free. However, though you might bake with pure chocolate, you’re never going to want to eat it plain. As a result, most chocolate contains other ingredients, including, at the very least a sweetener. This is a case where you are going to have to check the ingredients on a case by case basis to be sure.
As always, there is also the possibility of cross-contamination if the chocolate is processed in a factory that also processed gluten containing foods. To guard against this, choose only brands which are specifically labeled gluten free.
Gluten Free Chocolate Products
Hershey maintains a list of products that have been verified as gluten free. It’s always best to check the label, though, as ingredients may change.
- Hershey’s Cocoa – 23 oz.
- Hershey’s Cocoa, Special Dark – 8 oz. (Pack of 6)
- Hershey’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – 12 oz. (Pack of 6)
- Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Chips – 12 oz. (Pack of 6)
- Hershey’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips – 8 oz.
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars – 1.55 oz. (Pack of 24)
- Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar with Almonds – 1.45 oz. (Pack of 36)
- Hershey’s Nuggets, Special Dark Chocolate with Almonds – 12 oz. (Pack of 4)
- Hershey’s Nuggets, Milk Chocolate with Toffee & Almonds – 12 oz. (Pack of 4)
- Hershey’s Nuggets, Assortment – 38.5 oz.
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Kisses – 56 oz.
- Hershey’s Kisses, Milk Chocolate filled with Caramel – 11 oz. (Pack of 4)
- Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup – 48 oz. (Pack of 2)
- Hershey’s Lite Chocolate Syrup – 18.5 oz. (Pack of 6)
- Hershey’s Chocolate Sugar Free Syrup – 17.5 oz.
- Hershey’s Syrup, Special Dark Chocolate – 22 oz. (Pack of 6)
Stay tuned! I will be adding more products and brands as I sort through them.